Many gardeners know the abundance of tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini every year. This Summer Veggie Bake is easy and a perfect way to use them up.
Growing up in a parsonage (pastor’s house) we were very familiar with plastic or paper bags of veggies on our doorstep in summertime. No one ever asked first or rang the doorbell. I imagine they did the ‘drop and run’ from fear we would say “NO MORE!” Surprisingly, we rarely ever saw this ‘drop and run’, which, if you grew up in the country in a large family, you know is shocking. I suspect they happened in the early morning hours as nothing goes unnoticed in a watch
dog kid family.
We ate tomatoes until we should have turned red and zucchini chocolate chip cake and bread were a summer staple. Our family now is much smaller and we can only use up so much zucchini so I am a little grateful for no ‘drop and run’ bags. Carob Zucchini Muffins and Zucchini Baked Oatmeal are so yummy but not for every day.
And I love a garden fresh tomato sliced with just a dash of salt and pepper or on a BLT, but sometimes you need to change it up.
This summer veggie bake is just the thing when you have too much of summer goodness and want a nice healthy and flavorful dinner side dish.
Summer Veggie Bake
- 1 zucchini (6-8 inches)
- 2 large tomatoes (approximately 4 inches across)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Put 1 teaspoon oil in a 12 inch oven safe skillet.
- Thinly slice zucchini, tomatoes, green pepper, and shallot.
- Mince garlic.
- Layer all ingredients - 1/2 zucchini, 1/2 tomatoes, 1/2 green pepper, 1/2 shallot, 1/2 minced onion
- Salt and pepper to taste (We use approximately 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper)
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over top.