One of the biggest budget savers for me has been seasonal used kids’ clothing sales. Someone got me hooked on them 5 years ago and I never looked back. Now when I look at department or big box store prices I wonder how I would keep my children, clothed, fed and under a roof. Even the “cheap” stores cannot come close to what I can do buying used. My favorite sale is JBF (Just Between Friends Philly). This year is no exception. We were invited to check out pre-sale and given $25 toward our shopping trip. Oh boy did I have a shopping party!
Just Between Friends offers quality kids’ clothes and a one stop shop atmosphere. Their selection is so vast you truly don’t need to go anywhere else to shop. Give yourself a few hours and your shopping can be done or almost done. If you don’t have JBF sales near you, definitely check out what is in your area. Here are my tips for shopping used – from consignment sale to thrift shop to yard sale these are the tips that make “used” work on your budget. At the end I will have details on our local sale.
Consignment Sale Tips
- Check seams and hems
- Make sure it is missing no buttons and zippers work
- Check for fraying or fading
- Make sure pants’ knees have no wear. Put your hand up the leg and check. Wearing means they will pop holes quickly.
- Check the soles for wearing. Uneven wear is very bad for kids’ feet
- Make sure the inside sole isn’t badly worn
- Ensure shoe sides aren’t too broken in
- Be picky about shoes because the wrong shoe or too worn is very bad for kids’ feet
- Make sure it isn’t missing important pieces
- Make sure nothing is broken
- Take a few batteries to check and make sure toys work
- Make sure they are within safety standards
- Practice safety first – could the car seat have been in an accident? Is it worn in? May not be safe
- Are all pieces in working order?
- Does it have all parts?
- Measure your kids’ inseam, arm length and shoe size – My friend Darla at Heartwork Organizing has great tips
- Consider whether they may be in two sizes over the season and buy accordingly
- Make a list – stick to it
- Make a budget – stick to it
- Prioritize what you need and get the most important things first
- Walk in, get the layout of the floor THEN shop calmly and with purpose
- Don’t get caught up in the “sale” – prices are great but you don’t need everything that’s a good deal
- Remember you have to pick up toys and do laundry. How big you want that job to be?
- If you can take your own bags in, take a laundry basket with a belt or rope looped through the handle and drag that baby
- Or, take one of these awesome carts
- Wear comfortable clothes
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Dress in short sleeves – all those people, excitement and work will get toasty
- Don’t get worked up over what you miss. It’s okay to not get everything.
- Enjoy it so you don’t have stress and anxiety later
My Sale Details
JBF Philly is happening at the Philly Expo Center, September 25-27.
Have fun and shop your heart out. You will find amazing deals and prices that can barely be beat.