Our family just got back from our first (real) family vacation. I had a great opportunity to go to a blogging conference that offered a deal for Cedar Point and it all started there. While you may not be able to replicate the same exact deals I did, here are ways we stuck to our frugal vacation budget and CAME IN UNDER BUDGET!
- Pack snacks and easy lunches – PB & J, cheese sticks, cereal, simply go-gurt, hummus, carrots, and fruit made it into our vacation food crate. We saved so much money with these – 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and every day’s snacks came in under $40 total.
- Check Groupon, Living Social or even contact the attraction you want to go to to find discount tickets.
- Check Restaurant.com and the daily deal sites for restaurant deals.
- Take a tent and camp 1 or 2 nights. If you aren’t hard core camp all the way people, then find a campground with an inexpensive cabin or tent every other night.
- Book a suite and make your own meals.
- See if the hotel you are staying out offers any fun package deals. For $20 extra we had a Wii, games, dvds, all you can eat popcorn and pizza for a family fun evening and morning.
- Check gas prices before you travel so you know when to fill up at the best price.
- Drive through the night one night. Ha! This is NOT for the faint of heart and I don’t think I will ever do it again but it brought us in under budget by quite a bit. Enough to fill our grill propane tank, buy nice steaks for dinner, and put some back into the account – over $60!!
- See what free things there are to do in the areas you are traveling. Pick a few fun things that cost money and several free things.
- Write out your budget and list every purchase you make to keep track of where you are spending.
- HAVE FUN! Don’t stress the little things that don’t go perfect. It’s okay.
What little tricks do you use to stick to your vacation budget? Or do you just let it all go to the wind?
Link up your fabulously frugal posts!