Oh let me count the ways….I can use asparagus.
As some of you know I went to food auction last week. It was fun as a usual and one of my big scores was asparagus. I really could have bought MORE asparagus and wish I had but I only purchased 5 pounds. We have been eating a lot of asparagus the last week. Here are some ways to make it a star and some ways to hide it in the food.
1) Our favorite way – spray it with olive oil, sprinkle a little kosher salt on it and grill it. Then squeeze half a
lemon over it.
2) Do all of the above except put it on a cookie sheet in the oven and roast it at 450 until soft.
3) Steam it in a shallow but large pan with approximately 2 tablespoons of water, with the pan lid on until soft –
add lemon and salt after it’s done or just serve with salt and pepper.
4) Steam/saute it and place on a serving plate then put thinly sliced Havarti dill or baby swiss on it. Place the
pan lid over it so the steam melts the cheese.
5) Dice it small and saute with onions in butter then mix eggs in for scrambled eggs- very good with spinach,
grape tomatoes, and feta or blue cheese
6) Add chopped asparagus to a soup.
7) Make asparagus soup – I need to try that this week. (Menu change)
DO NOT – boil asparagus. It’s rather gross and it’s no wonder many people don’t care for it – ICK!