The other day I was chatting with someone and they were talking about a cranberry chicken dish their husband makes for them. I love cranberry sauce and chicken and it can only be great together. Plus it could be a great summer grilling recipe, right? The slight smokey char combined with sweet tart cranberry sauce is making my mouth water already.
Since cranberry chicken reminds me of fall I wanted to use this idea with a summery twist. As the finale to my ongoing #GOWalmart series with #CollectiveBias this week, I was challenged to create a recipe using fresh meats and produce found in the Walmart Supercenter.
Fresh meats and produce? Does it get better than that? It does. Walmart actually has a selection of organic meats and produce with an affordable price tag. They are one of my favorite Walmart deals, and they say that they try to source local produce to ensure it is as fresh as possible. From my experience the other day it was both fresh and affordable.
I gathered up my ingredients, starting with organic chicken, then gathered shallots, strawberries, grapefruit, and corn. I could hardly wait to get home and create a new recipe – grilled chicken with strawberry shallot jam, grilled sweet corn, and grilled grapefruit. Talk about a healthy feast!
Grilled Chicken with Strawberry Shallot Jam
- 3 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon diced shallot
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pink grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Melt butter in fry/saute pan.
- Add shallots and saute until just softening.
- Add strawberries, sugar, pepper, grapefruit juice, and water.
- Heat over medium heat until strawberries are soft.
- Mash ingredients together using a fork or spoon.
- Heat until thickened.
- Whole process took me approximately 15 minutes and can be made ahead of time.
- Slice each chicken breast into tenders.
- Grill until almost cooked through.
- Top with strawberry shallot jam and finish grilling.
Serves 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 young children.
I served grilled sweet corn and grilled grapefruit as my healthy sides. One of my favorite corn recipes is this Mexican Corn on the Cob recipe (Elotes) but for this evening the corn was so tasty we ate it without even adding butter, salt, and pepper. How healthy is that?!
To make the grilled grapefruit I sliced each grapefruit in half, added 1/4 teaspoon sugar, and grilled cut side down for 5-10 minutes, or until it had beautiful grill marks and was warmed through. If you love grilled fruit, here is another grilled fruit recipe you MUST try.
More Great Summer Grilling Recipes
This post was created in partnership with #CollectiveBias for #GOWalmart Store #2024.
All opinions are my own, and recipe was created by me.