It was the summer of ’99. Most of my summer was spent digging and leveling an area for a church floor in a third world country. We had a few days off to be tourists and one day we took a bus to a Nicaraguan ocean-side Resort. After long hot days caked in dirt and covered in bug bites, this was another culture shock. We soaked up the sun, enjoyed the warm Pacific, and drank (virgin) cocktails, aka piña coladas.
Every time I have a piña colada, virgin or not, strawberry, blueberry, or mango, I am transported back to that bumpy kamikaze bus ride, the hot and sunny beach day, getting burnt in the sun, and the laughter of teenagers who kind of felt like we were on spring break.
I took the liberty of making the piña coladas of my memories with a twist. I love making up a blender full without the alcohol so the kids can have some too. Then, depending on my mood I may add a little rum to the rest of the batch or keep it mocktail simple. I like to use fresh fruits, adding no mixes or sugar to keep it fresh, light, and a little healthier. I love that it still gives you that satisfying taste of a nice drink without the extras. Oh, and since it has fruit and “dairy” I totally say it’s a breakfast drink.
Today I am going to share my recipe for piña coladas for the family. Extras, if there are any, get put in the freezer.
Strawberry Piña Coladas - Mocktails & Cocktails
- Strawberry Piña Coladas
- Printable Recipe
- 2 cups ice
- 4 cups diced pineapple
- 1 - 13. 5 ounce can of Coconut Milk
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 ounces rum per cup of mixture (optional)
- Strawberries, pineapple wedges, and or toasted coconut for garnish
- Puree strawberries and put in separate container.
- Rinse blender.
- Add 2 cups ice, then 4 cups diced pineapple, then coconut milk to the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add rum at this point.
- Add strawberry puree to glass and swirl around bottom sides of glass.
- Fill glass 1/3 of the way with piña colada.
- Add 2 more spoons of strawberry, swirling it lightly.
- Fill glass the rest of the way with piña colada.
- Add a small amount of strawberry to the middle.
- Garnish and serve.
- Serves 4 adults.
Another great Mocktail/Cocktail for Summertime Memories
Ready for fall?
Check out our Virgin and Hard Apple Cider Slushies!
Real: The Kitchen and Beyond is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.