People don’t usually think slow cooker and roast chicken go together but I have this little trick that I use to slow cook chicken and turn it into crispy skinned roast chicken. I’m sharing it with you today along with this yummy kid inspired lemon ginger chicken recipe.
My 12 year old son isn’t the most fond of ginger but he suggested this lemon ginger chicken combo so we went light on the ginger. If you adore ginger as much as I do, let me suggest coating the chicken in 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger instead of using ground ginger. Oh, how scrumptious!
Slow cooked chicken is one of my favorite easy homemade recipes and I love finding new flavors to change it up but I can’t take credit for this combo. While I dictated the measurements, Chef E chose all the ingredients – ground ginger, chili powder, paprika, salt, onion, and fresh lemon.
Can you believe he skipped the garlic? That’s okay. I know someone who is allergic to garlic and we have this easy lemon garlic chicken recipe when we need it.
- 1 whole chicken or 2 chicken halves
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lemon
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Spanish paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- Rinse and pat dry chicken then put in bottom of slow cooker.
- Cut lemon into 10-12 wedges and squeeze each over the chicken then throw wedges intot he slow cooker.
- Thinly wedge onion and put into slow cooker.
- Sprinkle herbs and spices over chicken.
- Pour 1 cup water into slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Serves 4 adults or 2 adults and 3-4 children.
Slow Cooker Roast Chicken Tip
Carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker and put on broiler safe pan 4-6 under broiler for 5 minutes. Roast chicken without heating up the kitchen all evening.