We went on vacation and wanted to cut a few costs. The first place I started was with food. Now I cannot handle eating PB & J every day even though the kids can make it work for 3 days straight. Neither can I handle much fast food unless it’s Chick-fil-A’s grilled market salad. However, having that everyday wouldn’t be cost efficient either. I made do with 2 times in one week. I love the challenge of having yummy lunch options that aren’t boring.
Make sure you have a cooler and some ice, pack it up and eat dome plain or fancy fast food on your road trip. Today I am sharing some ideas for adults AND kids.
Road Trip Menu
- Figs and goat’s cheese – pre-cut the figs in half
- Grapes, cheddar and salami cubes
- Romaine Salad with grilled chicken breast, parmesan shavings, and Caesar dressing
- Spinach, strawberry and feta salad – package components in small bags or plastic wrap and place on top of salad in container
- Sparkling grape juice – grab a tablecloth and picnic in the park while the kids run around for a little bit
- Crusty bread and a little dipping oil
- pre-make hoagies/subs on a hard roll, add a little Italian dressing and wrap it up tight the night before you leave. Absolutely perfectly amazing sandwich ready at lunchtime.
- Pita stuffed with hummus and cucumbers
- Veggie sticks with dip
- Apple slices that were soaked in orange or lemon juice to keep from browning
- Fruit leather or dried fruit
- Yogurt tubes – especially for kids
- Cheese sticks
- Meat and cheese roll ups
- Make your own trail mix
The list is endless but these are some of the things I used or intend to use in the future. I am really bummed I didn’t think to take the figs because I came home to moldy ones. Such a bummer. What are some of your road trip food ideas?