If you have a surplus of cucumbers then this recipe is for you. Well, even if you don’t but you LOVE pickles, this recipe is for you too. Refrigerator Pickles are so easy to make but great to have for your refrigerator and personal consumption or, get this, to take to a picnic and be like “Oh yeah, I made these pickles yesterday.” I mean, who gets to do THAT? When people taste them, most are sure to want the recipe. A little bit of chopping,a little bit of following directions, and you have pickles. So simple a…..well, you get my point.
Easy Refrigerator Pickles
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon salt – I generally skimp on salt but not for these.
- 1 cup sugar – I use raw but white is fine.
- 6 cups, sliced cucumbers – kirby/pickling cucumbers are best
- 1 cup onions, sliced thin – I used green onions. Oh yeah! I’m fancy like that.
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper – ’cause it’s pretty. Green is fine too.
- 1 diced jalapeno – No seeds will make it less spicy.
- 2 teaspoons celery seed – Sometimes I use. Sometimes I don’t.
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1/4 cup fresh dill
- Heat vinegar and sugar and boil until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir often.
- While this mixture cools, prep your vegetables.
- Put the vegetables and seasonings into a glass bowl or cool jar like mine. DO NOT use metal. It reacts badly with acid. Also, plastic will absorb the bold flavors for future use. ICK!
- Mix the sugared vinegar and rest of ingredients.
I know, you really want to taste it NOW. Don’t. Let them sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. They are well worth the wait.