We love to make homemade pizza dough. It is super easy and inexpensive to make. Growing up my family used a pizza dough recipe from a favorite cookbook and I eventually memorized it. Well, you know how memories go.
I didn’t own the cookbook and I was tired of bugging my family again and again after I lost the recipe I wrote out so I started winging it. It turned out even better than following the original recipe had so we stuck with our new recipe. Today I thought I would share our favorite homemade pizza dough recipe and a new topping combination I tried today.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 1¾ cup warm water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6-7 cups flour
- Mix yeast, sugar, and warm water in mixing bowl.
- Let set 5-10 minutes or until it has a nice bubbly look to the top.
- Add oil.
- Mix in 1 cup of flour and the salt.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time until you have added 6 cups total.
- Set your mixer to 2 and let it knead the dough for 3 minutes or by hand until it is nice and elastic. Add a little flour as need be so your hands don't stick.
- Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Cover dough with a paper towel or light weight towel and set on back of stove until dough doubles - 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450
- Coat hands in oil, punch down dough and divide in 2 for 2 large pizzas.
- Oil a pan or use a baking stone without oil.
- Spread dough across pan, patching holes if they appear.
- Add favorite toppings.
- Bake at 450 until top is golden brown. Usually around 15 minutes.
- Pull the pizza out of the oven and let sit a few minutes. I know it is tempting to bite right in but the burnt tongue always ruins it for me. Plus, the toppings stay on better if it sets a few minutes.
Pizza Dough Making Tips
- Keep the dough slightly sticky. It makes a more tender crust.
- Sugar helps yeast grow.
- A little oil on the crust helps it brown beautifully and give it some crispness
- If you let the dough set a few minutes after you stretch it onto the pan, it will rise a little again and add a little lightness.
- There is nothing better than homemade pizza crust.
- Premake crust, wrap, and freeze for future meals. When you want to use it, pull out, top, and bake.
Favorite Pizza Toppings
- mozzarella, cheddar, onions, garlic
- mozzarella, cheddar, pepperoni, and onions
- mozzarella, onions, mushrooms
- goat’s cheese, caramelized onions, and prosciutto
- ricotta, garlic, olive oil, and fresh basil
- mozzarella, broccoli, onions, and garlic
Featured Pizza Topping of the Day
For a sweeter touch, combine honey goat’s cheese, thinly sliced apples, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar with apple pulp before baking.