Sausage, potatoes, and peas is a simple one dish dinner for those evenings you want a hearty comfort food kind of meal.
Sausage, potatoes, and peas was a family favorite when I was growing up. Coming from a family of 9 (7 kids), we definitely needed two dishes to make this, but for families of 4 or 5, it can still be a one dish dinner wonder in comfort food. It never turns out as a very pretty dish but always hits the spot in terms of flavor.
The taste and seasonings will vary depending what sausage you use but my favorite is a spicy chicken or turkey sausage of some sort. Most recently I used turkey chorizo from Whole Foods and oh was it ever tasty – spicy but delicious. This recipe is for a family of 5 so you will want to add on for a larger family. For a smaller family I wouldn’t change it because leftovers are even better.
I love to make this in my cast iron skillet because there is something that makes food that’s been fried in a cast iron skillet taste better. My pans are well seasoned so I just need 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Sausage, Potatoes, and Peas
- 3 spicy sausage links
- 1 - 1 1/2 medium potatoes per person - red potatoes are my favorite for this dish.
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups peas
- 1 -2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Slice potatoes and onions into thin rounds.
- Cut sausage into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Heat pan with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Place potatoes, sausage, and onions in the pan and fry, with a lid over them, until potatoes are soft.
- Stir often as potatoes and onions will stick to the bottom of the pan. You may need to add a little more oil at this point.
- When potatoes are just soft, take lid off, add peas and salt, and continue cooking until peas are heated through.