We are moving. It still seems a little surreal. That would probably be because we were aiming for September 1rst, August 1rst at the earliest. Well, as things worked out we are moving July 1rst. We have 15 days to move but really, moving doesn’t work that way when you also need the current place to be show ready. It’s just easiest to pack up as much as possible and clean for the move. If you have moved you know it gets expensive – moving truck, boxes, packing supplies, convenience food, movers if you have to hire help, the list can go on and on. Here are a few corners I found to cut.
1) Moving vehicle. Shop around for the cheapest option! Don’t think U Haul is
automatically is the most expensive. They were the cheapest for us. Cheap out
but make sure to get the insurance!!!
2) Furniture pads, dollies – do you know someone who would lend a dolly to you?
Can you use blankets and sheets to protect your furniture? I usually do. This time
I am too stressed and tired. I paid about $25 for those combined.
3) Bubble wrap, peanuts, etc. – Newspaper. My mom always used newspaper to
wrap fragile things in and stuffed wads of it into crevices. I don’t remember broken
things at all. We have done the same and there was only one time anything broke
and that was due to not packed quite well enough and careless movers – 1 time in
FIVE moves. I get bubble wrap for the most fragile things and then keep it some
where in my storage.
4) Boxes – they ain’t cheap. Check your local liquor store, grocery store, paint store,
WalMart – you name it, ask and you should be able to accumulate enough free.
5) Food – try to have easy foods so you don’t end up ordering out all the time. Save
that for desperate days. Use the crock pot and grill on summer days to keep the
heat AND time down.
6) Get rid of – sell excess junk on Craigslist, a yard sale, freecycle it. If you don’t
need or use it, get it out before you pay to haul it to the new place.It also gives
some extra cash.
7) Buy packing tape in bulk. Be nitpicky – calculate the cost to the yard/foot –
whichever is listed.
8) Grab a drink and take a break for 5 minutes.