Excuse me while I have a moment….
I just had the best carrot cake cupcake ever. Quite literally EVER! I love carrot cake… but only if it has no nuts. I use to completely adore walnuts in my carrot cake until I developed an allergy to them. Yay for me because I totally know what I am missing. Anyway, I am gushing over here… over carrot cake cupcakes… and that’s okay because I am going to be super sweet and give YOU the recipe even though I would love for it to be my little secret for forever. You know that secret where grandma dies and her grand kids STILL don’t know how she did it?
It all started with making cupcakes for my mom’s birthday. She loves carrot cake so of course I wanted to make her the best carrot cake ever. To make it easier to transport and serve 14-18 people, cupcakes are totally the way to go no matter how fancy and layer’ish I’m feeling, so at 10:40 PM Saturday night I was whipping together the only topping truly fit for carrot cake – rich decadent cream cheese frosting. If you don’t like cream cheese frosting please don’t tell me. It simply might break my heart. I could eat it straight with a spoon.
Anyway, back to the cake. I did what any crazy-out-of-her-mind girl would do at 8 PM on a Saturday. I had the brilliant idea to recipe hunt on foodgawker and think it would be easy peasy (ha!). So I finally found and settled on a recipe to adapt and make my own, because, well, that’s what I do. It worked. It totally worked… not once but 3 times… but before I give you the recipe, two last tips. 1) Add raisins. I added them to half the batch and they were gone before I could get pictures because they are amazing. 2) Use a fork. You say “but it’s a cupcake. You don’t have to use a fork for a cupcake.” Do. It’s luxury and tastes more amazing than picking it up. Just do it. It’s one fork. So finally, a carrot cake recipe to
die live for.
- 3 cups flour - unbleached soft white wheat is my choice
- 2 cups sugar - raw (to make it a bit lower sugar, I use 1 & ½ cups sugar and ½ cup In the Raw Monkfruit
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt (kosher)
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature (I use salted)
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 6 eggs, large
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 - 1lb, 4 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 6 cups, shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350
- Put shredded carrots and coconut in a microwave safe bowl, cover and microwave for 5 minutes. If you can't handle the microwave soften them some other way. Set aside to cool.
- Put flour, sugar, monkfruit, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- In separate bowl slightly beat eggs.
- Add oil, vanilla, carrots, coconut, and pineapple and mix.
- Add liquid mixture to flour and mix until incorporated, adding each stick of butter as you mix.
- Mix until butter is well mixed in.
- Put into lined cupcake tins and add a few raisins to each cupcake.
- I made mini and regular cupcakes.
- mini - Bake 10 minutes
- regular - Bake 15-18 minutes
- Will be moist on top but toothpick or tester should come out clean.