Busy weeks don’t require trips through the drive-thru, delivery service on speed dial, or PB&J every day of the week. Use your BRILLIANCE and these meal prep ideas for the week ahead with easy meals that can be used for lunch or dinner – like this Chicken, Asparagus, and Corn Quinoa Bowl.
This is a sponsored post for SheSpeaks/Rubbermaid®. All thoughts, opinions, and recipes are my own.
Sometimes weeks just hit our house like a bomb. Not only do we end up stressed all week but we eat late and/or nutritionally lacking meals, and all end up grumpy and blah feeling. Most busy families can relate to this feeling. Not only that, but we parents have a tendency to eat a poor lunch on top of it. The last thing we all need when we’re running on fumes is a lack of the fuel that keeps our bodies going.
I tend to be somewhat unorganized so this year I’ve really been working on looking at the week ahead and assessing what we are going to need to make it run smoother. Sometimes that means purposefully scheduling a night of takeout but it always means the need to meal prep ahead. If I don’t, evenings are more stressful and turn disastrous. Last week was C-rrrra-zy and this week is shaping up to be the same! We had 2 added children for a couple days last week and work is a little busier right now so I am nipping mealtime stress in the bud with some meal prep with Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE.
I am so happy Rubbermaid sent me these new containers because I saw an advertisement and thought I wanted to give them a try since my husband is ALWAYS forgetting our food storage containers at work. I keep telling him we need more and he keeps replying with “We have plenty” to which I reply “We would if you brought them home!” I love that man but he is quite forgetful. (Stay tuned to see how you can win your own set of Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE.)
When I meal prep ahead I plan out all our meals and make what I can ahead of time or during regular evening meal prep. It’s easy to make a double batch of rice ahead of time or make quinoa then refrigerate it to add to dishes like this quinoa bowl.
Yes, it means I need to have my refrigerator (somewhat) organized too so nothing gets lost in it but that’s so much easier to do with my new containers because they stack like a dream – seriously! I want to use them to compartmentalize my whole kitchen. They have 5 different sizes that you can buy individually or in sets, so you have just the right size when you need it. They are also crystal clear (including the lid), which makes it easy to identify what’s inside at a glance without opening the container.
I prepped tonight’s dinner (this recipe for the second time in 2 weeks) and several other meals ahead of time then set some aside in these containers for my husband and I to have for lunches. It’s so much easier and much less mess to make the week’s salads at one time and salad stays crisp and fresh in these containers because the lids have an airtight leak-proof seal (100% guaranteed) and latches that clip tightly into place. It’s such a huge pet peeve for me when lids don’t stay on tightly.
I also make a little extra in my meals so I can have a couple heartier lunch options. This chicken, asparagus, and corn quinoa bowl is a perfect Monday meal because it works nicely into my prep ahead meal plan. Sunday evening I can pre-cut the chicken and cook the quinoa then pull it all together in about 20 minutes on Monday evening. Best of all, this recipe makes enough for 1 person to have leftovers as a warm dish or cold salad by itself or on top of lettuce for lunch the next day.
Chicken, Asparagus, Corn, and Quinoa Bowl
Yield 6 servings
- 1 c. quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 lb. chicken
- 1 medium onion (approximately 1 c. diced)
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 1 c. fresh or frozen corn
- 1 tbs. oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Juice from 1 1/2 limes
- Prepare quinoa per instructions on package.
- Meanwhile, dice onion while oil heats in large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add onion to pan and fry, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- While onion is cooking, cube chicken into 1/4 or 1/2 inch pieces*.
- Add chicken to onion and continue cooking.
- Wash and cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces, removing woody stem.
- Add corn and asparagus to pan when chicken is just about cooked through.
- Add salt, pepper, and lime juice, stirring to incorporate.
- Add cooked quinoa**.
*Can cut chicken ahead of time for quicker prep.
**Will be approximately 4 c. once cooked.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Need more reasons to love Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE? These food storage containers also have a splatter-resistant design for microwave use and are made of stain-resistant, heat-resistant BPA free material so you can take your meal from fridge to microwave. What’s not to love about that?
Quick Meal Prep Ahead Tips
- Have containers in a variety of sizes – clear containers such as Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE that seal well make it easier to identify food and keep it fresh.
- Plan ahead.
- Make meals that preheat well or can be served cold as leftovers (this quinoa bowl is a great example as you can serve it hot or cold, by itself or over salad greens).
- Prep all the veggies you need for a couple days’ worth of meals at one time – saves time, dishes, and mess.
- Make large batches of starches ahead of time – rice, quinoa, pasta, and potatoes are all easy to prepare ahead of time.
- Organize your refrigerator to make it easy to see what you have.
Find Rubbermaid Online