There is nothing better than a homemade cream soup. Well, maybe chocolate cake, but nothing better in the realm of soup recipes, and homemade cream soups are easy once you memorize the easy butter + starch + milk ratio. We dumped the can several years ago and I’ve just avoided recipes that call for cream of celery soup because of the ingredients – just read the label. Plus, this recipe is gluten-free.
No more. Celery is our produce of the week and this homemade cream of celery soup recipe is so stinking easy and addicting I just had to share. It’s “grab a spoon and eat it by itself” worthy. Rich and creamy and so much yum. You know easy is the name of the game around here and I’m always excited to find another way to incorporate produce into meals because a little of this and a little of that adds up.
TIP: Starting picky eaters out on a flavor they don’t like mixed in with other things is one way I get my family eating even their least favorite produce without issue. “You liked it in this, why not give that a try?” Sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t, but I’m stubborn and I keep plowing forward. Like the saying goes, “Ain’t nobody got time for that.”
Even better, this homemade option is so affordable you really can’t rationalize buying a can anymore. With 4 basic ingredients and a little salt and pepper, you will be making the best cream of celery soup you’ve ever eaten in your life. Then, when you are ready you can try making your own homemade cream of mushroom soup and homemade cream of chicken soup. You haven’t tasted anything until you’ve had homemade cream soup.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups finely chopped celery (appr. 7 stalks)
- 4 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt butter in large frying pan or stock pot over medium high heat.
- While butter is melting, finely chop celery.
- Add celery, salt, and pepper and cook until soft, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- When celery is soft, whisk in cornstarch.
- Add 1 cup milk at a time, whisking constantly until thick.
- Refrigerate until using. Keeps in refrigerator 3-5 days.
- This last part takes about 5 minutes and the soup will have a thick soup-like texture. As it cools it will thicken up more.
- Use 1 ¼ cups of homemade cream of celery soup per 10.5 ounce called for in recipes.
What’s your favorite recipe that calls for condensed cream of celery soup?