Growing up, beef stew was a special treat. I’m not sure if my mom had a recipe she ever followed or not, but we got to the point we really didn’t need a recipe. We usually added whatever vegetables we had on hand. Beef stew is such a hearty winter time meal, but I can eat it anytime of year. We’ve had some cold and rainy dreary days this spring so what better day to make my favorite comfort breakfast, lunch, and dinner? This time I stopped and took a measurement or two just for you.
The only things I didn’t add to my beef stew that I would usually put in it are corn and beans. This time of year I use frozen and would add about 1/4 of a 1 pound bag of each. I’m all out. I have 3 kids. It’s rainy. I’m not going out in that. The end.
Hearty Beef Stew
- 1 pound beef cubes
- 6 medium potatoes
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 pound frozen sweet/baby peas (or fresh)
- 1/4 pound frozen green beans (or fresh)
- 1/4 pound frozen corn (or fresh)
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup milk (optional)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Parsley - 3 tablespoons freshly chopped or 1 tablespoon dried
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat oil on medium heat in stock pot or soup pan.
- Dice beef cubes into bite sized pieces.
- Add beef cubes and 1 tablespoon cornstarch to oil.
- While beef is browning, chop onions and mince garlic.
- Add onion and garlic to beef, sauteing until soft.
- While onions and garlic are softening, peel and cube potatoes, slice carrots, and chop celery and parsley.
- Add vegetables, seasoning, and herbs to beef, onion, and garlic.
- Add peas, beans, and corn at this point if using fresh vegetables.
- Add 8 cups of water.
- Lower heat to medium low and cook, covered, until vegetables are soft. (Approx. 40 minutes)
- Add frozen vegetables at this point.
- In separate container, whisk together 3 tablespoons cornstarch with 1 cup milk or water.
- Add to soup and stir in well.
- Raise heat to medium, and thicken, stirring often. (Approx. 15-20 minutes)
Try to resist having this stew for breakfast, lunch, and a dinner.
I serve with Whole Wheat Cheddar Biscuits.