I have had a small butternut squash sitting on my counter for two weeks. I bought it the other week and since it isn’t a family favorite it was one of the neglected produce items at the end of week two, along with the eggplant. No one likes the end of week two since it usually means the bottom of the barrel veggies – the least used and least liked. Since I needed something yummy and comforting for lunch I made gluten free, dairy free Butternut Squash Soup. I love how low maintenance it is to make.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 small butternut squash (appr. 4 cups butternut squash)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutiva Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional ( I skip)
- 1 -2 cups coconut milk - will depend on consistency you want and type of milk. I used 2 cups Goya Coconut Milk which is a little thicker. Please note you may need to add a little extra milk for different sized squash. Add until it reaches the consistency you desire.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash in half length wise and scoop out seeds.
- Place on baking tray.
- Dice garlic and onion.
- Divide them and put in the two hollows in the butternut squash.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil to each hollow.
- Tent aluminum foil over the butternut squash, sealing well around the edges.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour.
- Cool for a few minutes and scoop Butternut Squash, onion, and garlic into Blender.
- Add ground ginger and 1 cup coconut milk.
- Blend. Add more coconut milk until consistency you want.
- Heat on stove for 5-10 minutes.
Okay, now I can admit that squash is not one of my favorite food items. However, I absolutely loved this gluten free, dairy free butternut squash soup recipe. I love even more that this will hopefully add another recipe to some of my gluten free friends’ recipe boxes. I would pair it with a romaine salad with grape tomatoes, dried cranberries and blue cheese crumbles, finished off with a Balsamic Dressing.
I’m linking up with Musings of a Housewife. Check out more gluten free meal ideas on her page.