This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PlanesToTheRescue #CollectiveBias
Do you have a kid who is all out crazy about planes, trains, and automobiles? No, not that movie. We’re talking Disney Planes. I have a nephew who has hit that stage and I have to say it’s one of my favorite stages. It’s so fun to watch them use their imaginations to play. Just in time for the holidays, Walmart has Disney Planes merchandise on Rollback. It’s the best time of year for Rollback prices and my nephew is lucky this year because I got a great deal on several of them – Dusty the Crophopper and friends make great stocking stuffers, and the Disney Planes Secret Hangar Meeting die-cast set makes a great reasonably priced gift that I kind of want to play with too. I made cute little fruit and veggie planes to go with them that I think he is going to love too.
Every year we have a kid friendly New Year’s Eve party and last year got a little loud and crazy, so we decided this year we are going to have a little more structure for them. Since it is usually at my house I thought it would be fun to set the kids up in one room with fun snacks, a movie, and activity. When I was told about the Disney Planes deal I immediately thought the movie and this fun food activity would be perfect for the evening.
Since I am not all crafty I went to what I know best – food. I am making these cute little blueberry and carrot airplanes and the kids are making celery and strawberry airplanes. Having fun with food is the best since you get to eat it afterward. I recommend making the blueberry and carrot planes ahead of time as they are a bit difficult for even the older kids to do but the strawberry and celery planes are super easy and fun.
Strawberry and Celery Planes
- Paring knife
- Cut celery in 1 and 2 inch pieces.
- Take a 2 inch piece, and open end down, put a toothpick through the center.
- Take a 1 inch piece and cut it in half so each side has one of the rounded edges.
- Put one piece on each toothpick end.
- Slide a toothpick into the “nose” of the plane and add a strawberry piece to the end. Our strawberries were already cut in half but you can also just cut the point of the strawberry until it matches up with the width of the celery end for an even nose.
Carrot and Blueberry Planes
- Paring knife
- Cut carrot in half lengthwise.
- Cut 1 carrot half in half lengthwise.
- Take the quartered carrots and cut them in half widthwise.
- Push a toothpick through the long carrot piece, about midway down.
- Put each of the small carrot pieces on the toothpick on either side of the carrot.
- Using scissors, cut 2 – 1/4 inch pieces off either end of a toothpick – using scissors to cut toothpicks will give a clean end with no splintering.
- Push them into the carrot on the underside near the wings.
- Place blueberries on toothpick ends.
- Cut another 1/4 inch piece of toothpick and push into the nose of the plane.
- Place a blueberry on the end.
NOTE: Please supervise children when eating these planes to ensure all toothpicks are removed first.
Still looking for a Christmas gift? These and more Disney Planes products are on ROLLBACK at Walmart.
Disney Planes Flight to the Finish Speedway – $24.97
Disney Planes Fire & Rescue Die-Cast Vehicles, 3-Pack – $14.97
Disney Planes Fire & Rescue Deluxe Talking Vehicle Assortment – $19.97
Disney Planes Character Assortment die-cast set & Disney Planes: Fire and Rescue Character Assortment die-cast set – $4.97