Finding trail mix that is nut allergy friendly can be a challenge. Ever ask people for snack ideas? Inevitably many suggestions involve nuts of some sort. With our tree nut allergies we just can’t do many trail mixes. In preparation for our fall road trip and homeschool co-op lunches, I’ve taken to the kitchen to start making some allergy friendly trail mixes. Today I’m sharing our Sweet and Salty Cheerio Trail Mix.
I love the sweet and salty combination. I think that’s part of the draw with most trail mixes. The combination keeps you going back for more. I keep this recipe fantastically frugal in several ways.
Tips for Fantastically Frugal Cheerio Trail Mix
- Trader Joe’s version of Cheerios – $1.99
- Goldfish – 0n sale – $2.49 BOGO
- Raisins – I buy in bulk since I use them in our homemade granola
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips – Aldi, $1.69
- Raw sunflower seeds – I buy in bulk since I also use these in homemade granola
- Package in small and large jars – saves money on buying sandwich bags, and is much more eco-friendly also
- 3 cups Cheerio style cereal
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup goldfish crackers
- ½ cup unsalted sunflower seeds (raw or roasted)
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Mix all ingredients together.