The greatest way to dress up a simple wardrobe is by using accessories. A simple black shirt and blue jeans can be transformed into several “outfits” just by changing your accessories. If you are like me though, you look at accessories and suffer a little sticker shock. There are ways to get frugal accessories. You just have to get creative.
- Salvation Army, Goodwill, thrift stores in general – sometimes you can get some real treasure pieces for under $5. I found this gorgeous turquoise and silver belt for UNDER $5. Too bad I didn’t buy it. It would have been a gorgeous statement piece with black heels, blue jeans, and a plain black shirt. I found my new favorite bracelet, and some strings of beads that really pop for $2 each. Here are some inexpensive pieces you can find online.
- Scan the clearance racks. Even jewelry that isn’t your style has potential if you can re-string those beads into something more you. Just make sure they are re-stringable before purchase. Also, grab a string of a color you don’t usually wear and add it to a few strings you DO wear and make a statement POP.
- Estate sales – you can find real treasures for pennies occasionally. Search hard and don’t feel pressure to buy. Don’t walk out with something unless you LOVE it – not just like it. You end up with a jewelry chest full of things you will always wear if you pass up the “meh”.
- Charmin’ Charlies – my friend Steph at A Grande Life finds all sorts of perfect jewelry for amazing prices.
- Plato’s Closet, Clothes Mentor, and Artifact(local) all offer great prices on jewelry and offer pieces that are trendy, classic, elegant, gaudy, statement pieces or eclectic.
- Find a purse the same way. A colorful purse can be just the thing you need to go from blah to WOW!
- SHOES – Find a colorful pair of heels. They make the world go ’round. Okay, not really, but a cute pair of sexy heels make MY world go ’round. People notice when you wear a hot pair of shoes so make ’em count. Again, clearance racks or outlet stores are the way to go. I have even found brand new shoes in thrift stores. That is ALWAYS a win in my book.
- Add a scarf or funky hat. Go for a bright color or something that complements your eyes. I need to branch out and get bold with the scarf trend. They are so easy to grab and make a statement with. Plus so many places offer them at inexpensive prices.
- Check out my other friend Steph’s post on frugal accessories at Confessions of a Stay at Home Mom.
What’s your favorite frugal accessory tip or piece? Share a picture or share a tip. We all love to find frugal ways to make our outfits POP!