When I think of being frugal I usually see dollar signs but frugality goes beyond the money and works into our daily life too. Often times if we are more frugal with our time we are going to be more frugal with our money. This New Year I have some major goals I want to tackle and the first is learning to be fabulously frugal with time.
“I’m so busy” seems to be the refrain of my life and busy seeps into so many parts of our budget – “so busy” I didn’t prepare for dinner, “so busy” I grabbed breakfast or coffee on the run, “so busy” I forgot to grab gas when I was in the area it is cheaper. See? “So busy” being unorganized with my time that my budget suffers. No more! My goal this year is to be fabulously frugal with time and in turn, impact my budget one minute and dollar at a time.
Step 1 – Organize my daily schedule. I cringed at doing this. I hate spreadsheets and schedules. As I filled it in I bemoaned to my husband that I had filled every hour of every day and he reminded me I already do. I just didn’t put it on paper. Know what I found? I found that if I stick to the plan I made I will have 1.5-2.5 EXTRA HOURS in my day!! Why? Because I looked at everything that needs done and organized it to fit where it belongs and be more productive. Here are my printables.
Step 2 – Plan my meals.
Fabulously Frugal with Time means ~
- I have a set time for breakfast. No skipping it because I am “so busy” and grabbing something on the run – time SAVED
- I have time set aside to FOCUS on building my business instead of hodge podge grabbing time where I am focusing on too many things – time and money SAVED
- Dinner planned and time throughout the day to prepare it – no last minute unplanned grab a pizza or take out – time and money SAVED
- Set time to grocery shop and fill the gas tank without extra trips – time and money SAVED
- Buy EVERYTHING I need when I grocery stop – no extra trips to the grocery store – time, gas, money SAVED
- Have everything I need to prepare my meals and make sure we have dinner on the table – money SAVED
I know there are still so many ways I will be able to be fabulously frugal with time. This is just the beginning. What tips do YOU have for me to help me be more organized with my time, and ultimately, my money? I would love to hear from you.