What happens when you mix cheesecake and chocolate chip cookies? You get a chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bar. Thick chocolate chip cookie bars with a ribbon of cream cheese filling running through the middle, this dessert recipe is a hit every time I make them.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars are one of those desserts you want to take to a picnic. Why? Because the plate comes back empty every time. My tip to making summer entertaining easy is to have just a few easy recipes, including dessert recipes, of course, tucked in that ‘special request’ file. To be in my ‘special request’ file, a recipe has to be raved over by several people, finished by the end of the day, or a special request more than once. That ensures no leftovers by day’s end.
A few years ago I started making these bars with a tube of chocolate chip cookie dough when I needed a last minute quick and easy dessert. They were such a hit that I started playing around with them until I found the perfect combination of cookie and cheesecake filling. They were good but you know my love for from scratch cooking. I knew they could be BETTER.
And now they are. Sometimes it really is all about the ingredients. I use an organic unbleached white flour for this recipe, and while you don’t need to use organic flour, they definitely will not be the same with a regular white flour, so make sure you use unbleached flour. It gives them an almost nutty flavor without adding any nuts. The other important ingredient is raw sugar. Raw sugar has that special flavor that takes several of my desserts from everyday to “what did you put in this to give it that ‘something’?”
Even though this recipe is a two part recipe, it doesn’t take much time to prep and is worth it with every single bite. Make sure you give it enough time to set for a few hours before serving.
- 2½ cups unbleached flour
- 1½ cups raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 - 8 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease 11 x 7, 10 x 8, or 9 x 9 pan.
- Beat butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add sugar and beat again until fluffy. I usually beat a few minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat for several minutes until light and fluffy (3-5 minutes)
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly mix flour mixture into creamed ingredients. Mix well.
- Hand stir in chocolate chips.
- Press half of chocolate chip cookie dough into pan, ½ inch thick.
- Mix cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla together until smooth and creamy.
- Smooth filling over chocolate chip cookie layer.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Top:
- Pat out rounds of cookie dough, approximately ¼ inch thick.
- Lay across top of cheesecake filling, leaving some gaps here and there. Most will puff closed.
- Bake until toothpick comes out mostly clean, 45 - 60 minutes.
- Let set 1-2 hours for best results.
- Throw remaining cookie dough in the freezer or make a tray of chocolate chip cookies. Makes approximately 1 dozen cookies.