I have kids who don’t care for a lot of liquid in soup so this recipe worked out perfectly for them. This recipe was the first in my 8 pounds of chicken, 5 meals project and is a perfect fall comfort food. It is also super easy for the slow cooker or can be made stove top. The beauty of this soup is you really can add any vegetables you have on hand. My cupboards were getting bare and with no time to grocery shop I threw what I had in and it worked. It is also a great way to use up some vegetables that are getting soft or wilted.
Not So Spicy Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped fine, seeds and all
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 3 inch sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 4 inch stem of rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 carrot, sliced in 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 broccoli crown and stalk, chopped small
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I like kosher)
- Black pepper as desired
- Stove top:
- Heat oil in soup pan.
- Add onions, garlic, serrano pepper and herbs.
- Saute until onions are soft and slightly brown.
- Add chicken stock and stir.
- Add chicken, vegetables, and water.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour on low heat.
- Slow Cooker:
- Saute onions, garlic, serrano, and herbs in pan until onions are soft.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add rest of ingredients and slow cook on LOW 4+ hours.
I just have to say that I love my Calphalon 7 Qt. Digital Slow Cooker. It looks beautiful on my counter and works great. It has the space I need for large OR small meals and is easy to wash. I also love the shape as it is more rectangular rather than oval and fits in my cabinet beautifully.
I served the soup with our favorite biscuit recipe.
Link up your favorite Food PINS. Any one with a Pinterest account can link up. Just click on the pin you want to add, highlight the direct link and follow the directions at the bottom of this post for adding it.