My favorite season of the year is the beginning of any fruit season. Blueberries are one of my absolute favorites and what better way to celebrate than with my favorite drink? Today the Blueberry Piña Colada makes its debut.
**This recipe post has been sponsored by Whole Foods Market in celebration of organic blueberries for $3.99/pint. All stories and recipes are my own. **
Yes, I love strawberry season, blueberry season, cherry season, apple season, and peach season. Today I am reminded of a few years ago when we lived in Vermont. We found this gem of a blueberry field up on top of a hill in the country. The prices were unbelievable. If you brought your own containers it was $1.25/lb. Yes, PER POUND!! You would go in, pick and pick to your heart’s content, then weigh, pay (honor system), and go your merry blueberried out way.
The blueberries that grew on that hill were huge, plump, and oh so sweet. I would pick pounds upon pounds of blueberries to freeze for winter eating. I would pop the 2 year old in the stroller and hand my 4 year old a bucket. The 4 year old would help us pick and the only way to keep him from eating a bush clean was to tell him the berries needed washed because bugs sat on them, birds brushed by them, or perhaps a deer had even taken a sniff. Apparently it isn’t cool for a bug to sit on your blueberry. He’s my serious kid.
Need to know how to cut pineapple easily?
Well, I don’t live near that blueberry field anymore and our blueberry season isn’t until July so now I get excited about Whole Foods yearly blueberry deal and it’s happening right now. Call me impatient but my blueberry season needs to start as early as possible. Whole Foods organic blueberries are $3.99 a pint through May 26, 2015 and you can’t beat that.
So what better way to celebrate than with my favorite drink – the Piña Colada? We’re changing it up from strawberry and mango to blueberry today. Let’s party. Oh, speaking of which, you need a drink for a summer party? Throw the piña colada base in a Mason jar and pack it in ice, make your fruit puree, and you are on your way to being the talk of the day.
The tip to making the most beautiful blueberry puree is to puree the berries until they reach a rich purple hue. If you stop too soon you get a light pinkish purple color. Then take a sip and enjoy the delicious flavors of this fresh fruit piña colada that’s made with just 5 ingredients (if you count the ice and use rum).
Blueberry Piña Coladas
- 4 cups diced pineapple (fresh is best)
- 1 15/16 ounce can coconut milk (I like to use Whole Foods 365 organic coconut milk)
- 1 pint blueberries + blueberries for garnish
- 4 cups ice
- 6-8 ounces rum (if making them with)
- Puree blueberries until a rich purple hue.
- Put in separate container and rinse blender pitcher.
- Blend ice, pineapple, and coconut milk until smooth.
- Put a bit of blueberry puree in bottom of glass and swirl. (Approximately 1 tablespoon.)
- Fill glass 2/3 with piña colada.
- Add another tablespoon of blueberry puree and let rise to top.
- Use toothpick to swirl if you want a fancy look.
- Top with a few blueberries or toothpick loaded with blueberries.