This post has been created in partnership with Groupon Coupons.
Buying a house is expensive. The process alone calls for cash at every decision. From deposit to down payment, the fees pile up fast and all require cash. Which, cash is good. It wouldn’t be so great buying a house on credit from dollar 1. Here are some of my tips for saving money when buying a house (or any time you need to save some money).
You aren’t going to be able to save anything on house buying fees unless you have the option to cut money on a home inspection. I don’t recommend that. Do you really want to buy a house blind to potential issues? Instead, look at what else you can cut in your budget.
Tips for Saving Money When Buying a House
- Cut the food budget – When you buy a house you are usually packing up a home, potentially traveling, and in a state of constant stress. Use these frugal food tips to cut your food budget and prep some freezer meals for those stressful days. Bonus points if you eat down the freezer and/or pantry. Pack on-the-go meals for any travel and grab some discounted restaurant deals for times you do eat out.
- Use sales and coupons on household products – Whether you are staging your current home or need to furnish your new home, household products can take a chunk out of the budget. Groupon Coupons gives you access to coupons and discounts for many popular stores.
- Save money on temporary housing – Find yourself “homeless” in-between houses? If you are feeling brave and the season is warm, you can do what we are and save a good chunk of money tent camping for a few weeks. If you aren’t feeling it, look for deals on sites like Travelocity and Hotels.com.
- Cut the bills – If there are any bills such as phone line, etc. that you can cut without losing productivity or early contract fees you can save a bit of money when you’re too busy to be using them. Especially remember to cancel utility bills, etc. the day you move out or turn keys over to a new owner so you aren’t paying for service you aren’t using.
- Save on internet service – If you are in-between housing and don’t need internet for a home run business, or can cut internet service for the last month in your current home and up your cell phone data for a lower price, do that and utilize wi-fi when you are shopping and/or going to the library.
- Affordable entertainment – When you pack up the DVDs keep some out for entertainment for the kids on the road if you are moving a distance. Also utilize services like Redbox since you can find them along the way and subscribe to services on Amazon for Kindle and audio books.
- Stock up on First Aid for less – Moving means injuries. From scrapes to smashed fingers, you need to make sure the First Aid kit is fully stocked. Grab a coupon and save.
What tips do YOU have for saving money when buying a house?